Monday 6 July 2009

another new toy *sigh*

As my boyfriend and I walked back to the car I happily clutched my new Kodak Brownie, turning it over and over in my hands, grinning from ear to ear. Yes, I'd just found out that getting hold of 127 film was going to be like tracking down the horn of a unicorn, but it felt so nice - so fat and so curvy and with these awesome 1950's Mad Men style lines. It looked like a piece of design. Ooh.

I turned to him with a new idea and said, "Wouldn't it be nice to put all these cameras in a display cabinet? Then we could see them properly. They're pieces of design, after all, and...what?"
He'd stopped dead a few paces behind and was staring at me, smiling.

"About three months ago you said - you said with your very own mouth, that you would never need a proper display cabinet for your cameras because your uncle collects cameras, and you didn't want to end up with hundreds of film cameras lying around the house like he had, and that your Fisheye and your Smena were enough for you. That's what you said. I thought I'd just remind you of that."

"Well... well...."

I trailed off into silence, half-thinking and slightly bemused. And with that, we simultaneously started walking again, my happiness bubble slightly punctured but also reinforced by the odd, warm feeling that this camera collecting was a weird, recessive genetic trait that was always going to rear its wicked head at some point.

I'm going to need some more disposable income. Especially if 127 film is going to cost in excess of £15 a roll (motherhubbard!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, oh dear... You might need this for later...

    'One in, one out: no exceptions' (The Golden Rule of Cabinets)

    ReplyDelete